Phony Officials Trick Consumers into "Verifying" Info on Do Not Call Registry
***Please note, this is being sent as a warning only. We have no victims as to date. Better Business Bureau
Scammers have been making phone calls posing as representatives of the National Do Not Call Registry. The calls claim to provide an opportunity to sign up for the registry or ask consumers to verify their info. Of course, the callers are really trying to solicit personal information, which opens victims up to identity fraud.
How the Scam Works:
Someone calls you claiming to represent the National Do Not Call Registry, the FTC or Canada's National Do Not Call List. The registry "official" asks for personal information, such as name, address and Social Security number. The scam has several variations. In one, the caller wants to verify that you are on the National Do Not Call Registry. In another, he/she claims to give you a chance to register your phone number.
Just hang up the phone; this situation is always a scam. Representatives from the registry will not call you. And sharing personal with the caller will just put you at risk for identity theft.
How to Protect Yourself from Scam Calls:
• Don't share your personal information if someone calls you claiming to represent the National Do Not Call Registry or even the FTC itself.
• Do not call the scammers back.
• Remember that your participation in the National Do Not Call Registry does not expire. Do not listen to claims otherwise.
• If you want to add your number to the Do Not Call Registry, go to www.Donotcall.gov or call 888-382-1222 from the phone you wish to register. If you want to verify your number, use this feature on the registry's website.
• Canadians have their own National Do Not Call List. For more information please visit https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/insnum-regnum-eng
For frequently asked questions about the Do Not Call Registry, check their website at www.donotcall.gov
To find out more about scams, check out the new BBB Scam Stopper at http://www.bbb.org/scam-stopper/