Another Friday the 13th?
It's the last of three this year. Third time's the charm, but maybe not in this case.
Today is the third Friday the 13th of 2012 - and thankfully the last for the year.
But why is there such a superstition around this date? The fear of Friday the 13th dates back to Roman times, the rationale lost over the centuries. But still it persists.
According to a report in philly.com, the economy is impacted by hundreds of millions of dollars by people who decide to stay home rather than venture out.
Dossey, a behavorial scientist quoted in the report, said as many as 21 million Americans have some fear of Friday the 13th.
- In the Gregorian calendar, which we use today, this day occurs at least once, but at most three times a year.
- Any month's 13th day will fall on a Friday if the month starts on a Sunday.
- The fear of Friday the 13th is called friggatriskaidekaphobia. The term was derived from the name of the Norse goddess, Frigga, which is how Friday got its name.
- In 2011 May was the only month that had a Friday the 13th.
- In 2012, three months will have a Friday the 13th, January, April and July.
- Many buildings even today, do not have a 13th floor.
The good news: It will be another 14 months before the next Friday the 13th rolls around in September 2013.
-- Do you plan to alter your day's activities because it's Friday the 13th?