ANSWERS: To Trivia Questions on Mardi Gras Fun Facts
Here are the answers to the Mardi Gras fun facts from yesterday. How much did you know?
- True or False: Mardi Gras in America began in New Orleans? False. A common misconception - Mardi Gras in America was actually begun in Mobile, Ala. in 1703. A year after its (founding) in 1857, members of a Mobilian mystic society brought Mardi Gras to New Orleans.
- What medieval tradition can Mardi Gras be traced back to? Feasting before the arrival of Lent. Mardi Gras day was the last day before Lent, when Catholics would give up a certain food until Easter. Therefore, they would feast the day before.
- What does the French expression "Mardi Gras" literally translate to in English? Fat Tuesday. It was called so because of the feasting that took place on this day.
- How did the Spanish add their touch to the French Mardi Gras? By holding lighted torch parades. Some mystic societies today still march by torchlight.
- What is Mardi Gras known as in the Christian calendar? Shrove Tuesday - the day before Lent starts. The following day, the first day of lent, is known as Ash Wednesday.
Source: Trivia Fun Facts obtained from FunTrivia.com.