Peachtree Corners Presbyterian Church, Dedicated to Serving the Needs of the Community
It’s a small church with a big heart – and a lot of history.
Originally chartered under the name Prosperity Church and located on Peachtree Road - in what is now The City of Chamblee - the Peachtree Corners Presbyterian Church traces its roots all the way back to 1836; the same year the Texas defenders of the Alamo stood against Mexican General Santa Anna – and a full quarter century before Union General William T. Sherman’s soldiers used Prosperity Church as a campsite and its communion tables for firewood during Sherman’s decimating march to Atlanta. But the church lost far more than some furnishings.
According to published accounts of the history of Doraville, 14 men from Prosperity Church went to war for the Southern Cause - only six returned.
But none of the hardships of a bloody civil war or a difficult reconstruction or even the destruction and uncertainty of two world wars and a worldwide economic depression could stop the church from growing and serving.
In 1872 the church moved to Doraville and changed its name to Doraville Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church where it remained for more than 125 years. Then, in 2000, the church members and the church leadership decided to move to its current location at 5918 Spalding Drive and rename the church Peachtree Corners Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
Currently, the church membership numbers about 300 faithful followers who work to serve the church family as well as the larger community around them. One of Peachtree Corners Presbyterian’s major community ministries involves support of the Norcross Cooperative Food Drive.
Founded in 1988 in the basement of the Norcross First Baptist Church, the Norcross Cooperative Food Drive currently serves as many as 70 families each day with emergency aid - including food, clothing, prescription medication and even money for past due rent and utilities. Peachtree Corners Presbyterian has been instrumental in supporting the Norcross Cooperative Food Drive every year – one of 20 area churches dedicated to meeting the needs of those less fortunate through such organized activities as semi-annual food drives by the congregation.
The church currently does not have a private school or academy. However, as the surrounding community continues to grow, the leadership of the church has been discussing plans to open a school – possibly within the next year.
In the meantime, the members gather each week for Sunday School beginning at 9:45 a.m. and the worship service which starts at 11 a.m. And each Sunday morning, the congregation is greeted by the light streaming through a beautiful stained glass window above the pulpit depicting a white dove and The Cross. The stained glass work of art has become the logo of the church.