Questions on the July 31 Primary Ballots
Charter schools, lobbyists' gifts, casino gambling, weapons carry permits and right to life are some of the ballot questions on the July 31 primary ballots.
Georgia Democrats have released the questions that will be asked of voters who pull a Democratic ballot in the July primary election. The Georgia Democratic Party worked in partnership with the Democratic Senate and House Caucuses to develop the ballot questions.
"These statewide ballot questions are a great way to gauge the pulse of Democrats around Georgia. Several county parties will be placing their own questions about local issues on the ballot as well," said Mike Berlon, chairman of the Democratic Party of Georgia in a release from the party.
The ballot questions on the Democratic Primary ballot will be:
- Should the Georgia Constitution be amended to allow the state to override locally-elected school boards' decisions when it comes to the creation of charter schools in your county or city?
- Do you support ending the current practice permitting unlimited gifts from lobbyists to state legislators?
- Should Georgia adopt an income tax credit for home energy costs to support the economic security of our families?
- Should Georgia reduce sales taxes on Made in Georgia products so as to support the growth of small businesses in our state?
Senate Democratic Caucus Leader Steve Henson said ballot questions are an important component of developing the Democratic agenda.
"Democrats need to voice their opinions on important issues. These ballot questions offer them an opportunity to shape ideas and issues that will we address in the future," Henson said. "But voters shouldn't stop here. We need them to be engaged with their elected officials throughout the year to provide input that will help us improve Georgia."
Republican ballot questions, as reported by the Peach Pundit, are the following:
- Should Georgia have casino gambling with funds going to education?
- Do you support ending the current practice of unlimited gifts from lobbyists to state legislators by imposing a $100 cap on such gifts.
- Should active duty military personnel who are under the age of 21 be allowed to obtain a Georgia weapons carry license?
- Should citizens who wish to vote in a primary election be required to register by their political party affiliation at least thirty (30) days prior to such primary election?
- Shall the Constitution of Georgia be amended so as to provide that the paramount right to life is vested in each innocent human being from his or her earliest biological beginning without regard to age, race, sex, health, function, or condition of dependency?