Traveling during the holidays? Whether you are driving or flying, there are many things you can do to lessen the impact you have on the planet. Here are some tips to help keep your travels as environmentally responsible as possible!
Before you leave home:
- Turn your water heat to “vacation” or the lowest setting that it has.
- Turn off the heat.
- Turn your water off at the outside connection. This will prevent flooding in case a pipe breaks while you’re gone.
- Appliances, such as televisions and computers, she be unplugged, because they can leak as much as 40 watts per hour even when they’re off!
- Turn the ice maker off to prevent flooding in case it breaks while you are away.
While you are traveling:
- Pack light and keep it at one bag if at all possible. Making lists and rolling your clothes help save space.
- Ask the hotel not to change your towels and sheets on a daily basis.
- Use the hotel van instead of renting a car or taking a taxi. Use the bus or local transit system.
- If you are taking a road trip instead of flying, turn your motor off when idling.
Featured image courtesy of digital art / FreeDigitalPhotos.net