You may still have another beach trip planned for the summer season, but the retailers are only weeks away from displaying their holiday decorations.
Thanksgiving is only four months away, which means this is the perfect time to start tweaking the house for your holiday guests and entertaining.
This is the time that designers, workrooms, and renovation teams get really busy on all those projects their clients’ want finished before the holidays.
Maybe you want a kitchen remodel before tackling all the gastronomical wonders in your culinary repertoire; or remember your oath to add a new bathroom before the in-laws come back for a visit.
The good news is that there’s still time, but very little.
If projects of that scale are not in the budget this year, there are much simpler ways to update your home, so let’s discuss a few.
* Add new window treatments to the dining room and family room. There are some fabulous new drapery fabrics, hardware, and shades that will really dress up your rooms, enhance your views, and provide energy saving features when the weather cools.
* Change your accessories, rugs, and decorative pillows. Go “shopping” throughout your home and storage areas, and mix things up. There may be some things packed away that would look terrific on display and give the room a fresh look.
* Rearrange your furniture. Think outside the box. There may be a chair in a bedroom that would be lovely in the family room, or maybe that buffet that is crowding the dining room would make a terrific dresser in the guest room.
* Light things up! Have you seen the fab new styles of chandeliers? There is something to please everyone, and they don’t have to cost a car payment. Nothing dates décor more than old light fixtures. Buy new lamps, or at the very least snazzy new shades. Remember to have enough lighting and at different levels in the room. Proper lighting can make a world of difference in the look and enjoyment of a space.
* Grab the paintbrush. Almost anything can be painted these days, and paint gives us the most impact for the least amount of money. Accent walls are a great way to add interest to a room either with a bold splash of color or a subtle change from the existing wall color. Ceilings painted something other than white can totally change the look and feel of a room. Painted furniture pieces, mirror frames, and even candlesticks breathe new life into tired pieces and rejuvenate a space.
Yes, the temperature may still be high outside, but the holiday season is almost here. Start your home spruce-ups now so you can relax and really enjoy the personal warmth and happiness that comes with holiday entertaining.