A dog and his owners are safe now following a Sunday morning fire in Lilburn.
Firefighters responded to the 700 block Inland Way at approximately 8:18 a.m. When they arrived, heavy black smoke and flames were showing through the roof of a two-story home.
Two adults were home asleep at the time of the fire, and a working smoke alarm alerted them to the fire. Officials said they escaped unharmed and were safely outside when the fire department arrived.
After making entry into the home, firefighters conducted a search and were able to successfully rescue a dog from inside the burning home.
Intense heat and a partially collapsed roof forced fire crews to back out moments later. Firefighters then flowed water from multiple hoses and an aerial ladder pipe to help control the blaze.
However, the home and contents are a total loss.
At this time, the fire "appears accidental and may have started in the area of the front porch and quickly spread to the attic," fire officials said in a press release.
"The occupants and their pet are safe because of the presence of a working smoke alarm," Gwinnett Fire Captain Tommy Rutledge said in a press release. "Every home should be equipped with working smoke alarms on every level and in each of the bedrooms."
There were no injuries reported in the fire, and the Red Cross was contacted to provide assistance to the family.
For additional information on smoke alarms and home fire safety, contact the Gwinnett Fire Community Risk Reduction Division at 678.518.4845 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.