Gwinnett Police Initiating Online Crime Reporting

Citizens can report crimes like thefts, criminal trespass and criminal damage to property online.

It’s going to be easier for Gwinnett citizens to file reports about certain crimes. The Gwinnett County Police Department is initiating online crime reporting for thefts, criminal trespass and criminal damage to property, according to an announcement by Gwinnett County in its News for Neighborhoods e-mail newsletter.

The online crime reporting system is undergoing a test period through April with limited submissions and is working well, Gwinnett Police spokesman Cpl. Jake Smith said. 

The crimes must have occurred in Gwinnett County with the exception of identity theft to file reports online. If the incident happened in a city with its own police department, the crime must be reported to that department. The Gwinnett PD website provides links to the city police departments. Eight cities in Gwinnett that have their own police departments are Braselton, Duluth, Lawrenceville, Lilburn, Loganville, Norcross, Snellville and Suwanee. Incidents outside Gwinnett County must be reported to the proper jurisdiction.

Here are the guidelines for reporting crimes to Gwinnett Police online:

  • The incident occurred in Gwinnett County. There is an exception for identity fraud. (Citizens only have to reside in Gwinnett County to file an identity fraud report. It is not necessary to know exactly where it occurred.)
  • The incident did not occur inside a city inside the county with its own police department.
  • There are no known suspects (description and/or name) or suspect vehicle descriptions (tag numbers).
  • There is no physical evidence to collect or process.

The following types of crimes may be reported online:

  • Theft by Taking (general theft).
  • Entering Auto (theft from a vehicle).
  • Identity Fraud (use of individual or business information to commit a financial crime).
  • Criminal Trespass (vandalism or damage to property $500 or less).
  • Criminal Damage to Property in the Second Degree (vandalism or damage to property greater than $500 with no danger to human life or involving a utility like water, gas, or power).
  • Theft of Lost or Mislaid Property.
  • The incident is not regarding the theft or loss of ID and/or identification documents (passports, consular ID) issued by foreign governments.
  • The theft of a firearm is not involved.

All cases filed will be reviewed, and if further investigation is warranted, the citizen filing the report may be contacted, according to the newsletter.

Citizens who want to report other types incidents or still desire an officer to contact them or come to their location, should call the non-emergency Gwinnett Police number at 770-513-5100.

After filling out the report, citizens will see the words: "Your online police report has been submitted" showing that the report is complete. Complainants will be issued a case number and will be able to print out a copy of the police report for free to keep for their records.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »