Fire investigators believe an unattended candle started an early morning fire that caused heavy damage at a Peachtree Corners apartment complex.
Gwinnett Fire spokesman Capt. Tommy Rutledge said 15 units were damaged by the fire, which was reported around 3 a.m. Monday, April 14, at the Reserve at Peachtree Corners Apartments on Ashley Run Court on the west side of the city.
There was no official word on injuries, but a family of seven (2 adults, 5 children) in the apartment where the fire started was awaken by the smoke alarm and escaped.
“The fire appears accidental and may have been sparked by a candle that was left burning unattended in a ground level apartment,” Rutledge said in an emailed media alert. Due to the extensive damage, firefighters had not been able to do a complete search of the structure as of 7:30 a.m., according to Rutledge.
“Firefighters had to battle the blaze from outside [defensive mode] due to the magnitude of fire and collapse of the structure,” Rutledge said in the email. “Firefighters were challenged by a massive fire in one apartment building and also contended with hot embers that floated through the air, threatening other nearby apartment buildings and vehicles.”
The fire department was working with the apartment complex management and the American Red Cross to help residents displaced by the blaze.
Check back for updates.