Fire broke out Monday night at a Peachtree Corners residence on Parton Court causing the residents of one of the units of the quadraplex to scramble to escape the blaze.
Three adults living in the unit were able to get out unharmed, said Capt. Tommy Rutledge, spokesman for Gwinnett Fire and Rescue Services. Firefighters arrived around 11:30 p.m. and had the blaze under control within a half hour.
Rutledge said the occupants told firefighters they "heard a loud crackling sound" and then the power went out. "They ran outside and discovered flames burning around the exterior wall and chimney."
Firefighters found flames and smoke coming from the back of the quadraplex when they arrived.
"The blaze was contained to the one unit and caused extensive damage," said Rutledge. "The adjoining units were not directly damaged by the fire and residents should be allowed to return later today [Tuesday]."
Firefighters report that the cause of fire "appears accidental and was sparked by a fire burning in the fireplace for warmth," said Rutledge.
Fire investigators believe that the fire was caused when "flames burned outside the fire box and traveled up the chimney chase to the second floor and attic."
Homeowners should have their home heating appliances serviced annually by a qualified technician, said Rutledge.
"A fire burning in the fireplace should be continually supervised and extinguished before going to bed or when leaving the home," he added.
Equipment on the scene included:
1-Air & Light Unit
1-Public Information Officer