On Friday was recognized as a 2012 National Blue Ribbon School. The Peachtree Corners school was one of only 269 schools across the nation to receive the prestigious national title.
The recognition honors public and private K-12 schools where students perform at very high levels or where significant improvements are being made in students' levels of achievements, according to a press release by Gwinnett County Public Schools.
The schools chosen for the title are recognized in one of two performance categories.
- Exemplary Improving: At least 40 percent of students from disadvantaged backgrounds demonstrate the most progress in achievement levels which are measured by state or national assessments.
- Exemplary High Performing: The school is recognized among Georgia's highest performing schools measured by state or national assessments.
Simpson received recognition in the "Exemplary High Performing" category.
"This recognition affirms that setting high expectations for excellence in all areas of school life and focusing on teaching and learning every day, with the constant support of involved parents, is the formula for success," said Simpson Elementary School principal, Bron Gayna Schmidt.
Schmidt said the school's success was based on three critical factors.
- "Dedicated staff who loves children and expects them to be successful every day"
- "Student body who comes to school every day ready to learn"
- "A community of parents and businesses who support the students and staff, cheer and encourage them on the journey"
The U.S. Department of Education requested nominations from the top education official in Georgia and officials across the nation, as well as the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and other organizations. Private schools were nominated by the Council for American Private Education.
Nominated schools were invited to submit an application for recognition as a National Blue Ribbon School.
Simpson, which is part of the Norcross cluster of schools, has nearly 1,000 students. Last year the school was recognized with the Platinum Award in the Highest Performance category in recognition of demonstrating the highest achievement on the CRCT state assessment.
The U.S. Department of Education will honor Simpson Elementary and the other 218 public and 50 private schools in a ceremony on Nov. 12-13 in Washington, D.C.
Eight Georgia schools were recognized as 2012 National Blue Ribbon Schools:
* Austell Intermediate School, Powder Springs
* Britt David Magnet Academy, Columbus
* Chase Street Elementary School, Athens
* Crabapple Crossing Elementary School, Milton
* Fairmount Elementary School, Fairmount
* First Presbyterian Day School-Middle School, Macon
* Kittredge Magnet School, Brookhaven
* Simpson Elementary School, Peachtree Corners